Chronic inflammation is suspected to be the underlying cause of most chronic degenerative diseases of the modern world. There are literally dozens of different medications out there combating inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, Alzheimer’s and inflammatory bowel conditions such as Ulcerative Colitis, but what about the myriad of foods with anti-inflammatory benefits that could be increased in the diet?
If you are interested in preventing the risk of chronic degenerative diseases and living a life that is at optimal health, consider eating more foods with anti-inflammatory benefits.
5 Foods With Anti-Inflammatory Benefits
- Fatty Fish – It has long been noted that fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel are anti-inflammatory foods because of their high omega-3 content These particular fatty acids have been scientifically proven to be extremely anti-inflammatory and is therefore number one on our top 5 foods with Anti-Inflammatory benefits
- Garlic – This potent herb may not be the greatest for a first date, but this anti-oxidant powerhouse food has top-notch anti-inflammatory benefits. Not only does garlic help to thin the blood, lower cholesterol levels, protect the heart and fight colds and flu’s, but it contains an active ingredient
- Turmeric – This vibrant yellow herb that is commonly used in East Asian cuisine is one the world’s best anti-inflammatory foods around. It has been shown in several scientific studies to have the same anti-inflammatory benefits as many prescription drugs such as indolmethacin but without the harmful side effects on the body. It is also extremely high in anti-oxidants, making it the focus of various studies in the use for various cancers. Turmeric (aka curcumin) is definitely one of the top 5 foods with anti-inflammatory and other health promoting benefits.
- Ginger – This delicious warming and versatile herb is also an extremely anti-inflammatory food. It follows the same biochemical pathways to block inflammation that turmeric does. It not only has anti-inflammatory benefits, it is also extremely helpful to quell and upset stomach, aid digestion, moderates cholesterol and blood glucose levels and alleviate menstrual pain. No wonder this makes the top 5 foods with anti-inflammatory benefits!
- Blueberries – This list is not all just warming herbs and spices. Blueberries are also shown to be a food with anti-inflammatory benefits. This delicious blue sphere of flavour contains biochemical phytonutrients that are not only anti-inflammatory, but are also effective with managing pain receptors in response to the inflammation. Blueberries are not only a delicious part of your daily diet, both in savoury and dessert dishes, but it has potential as a weapon against inflammation and pain!
There you have it, our list of top 5 foods with anti-inflammatory benefits. The key to health and preventing chronic inflammation is arming yourself with knowledge and then living a life that contains a well-balanced diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables, exercise, fresh air, clean water and full of love and happiness. However, a healthy dose of the top 5 foods with anti-inflammatory benefits can only help as well!
McGeer EL, McGeer EG. Inflammation and the Degenerative Diseases of Aging. 2004. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. Vol 1035:104-116.
Wall R, Ross RP, Fitzgerald GF, Stanton C. (2010) Fatty acids from fish: the anti-inflammatory potential of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids. Nutr Rev. May;68(5):280-9.
Menon VP, Sudheer AR. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2007;595:105-25.
Grzanna R, Lindmark L, Frondoza CG. Ginger–an herbal medicinal product with broad anti-inflammatory actions. J Med Food. 2005 Summer;8(2):125-32.
Torri E, Lemos M, Caliari V, Kassuya CA, Bastos JK, Andrade SF. Anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive properties of blueberry extract (Vaccinium corymbosum). J Pharm Pharmacol. 2007 Apr;59(4):591-6.