Cod liver oil is a popularly used home remedy for a variety of ailments. This is because the benefits of cod liver are numerous and encompass health and beauty both. From assisting in arthritis treatment and preventing heart conditions from worsening, to relieving the symptoms of mental diseases, the health benefits of cod liver oil consumption don’t just end here. Cod liver oil benefits the eyes, skin, hair, ears, nervous system and even the gastrointestinal system. But first you should know what exactly cod liver oil is.
What is cod liver oil used for?
What is Cod liver oil?
Cod liver oil is exactly what it literally sounds like. It is the oil extracted from the liver of a cod fish, an organ that weighs about a pound and contains the remedies to a range of different health issues. It is one of the richest sources of Vitamin A and D and also contains Vitamin E. It provides our body with omega 3 fatty acids too, answering anyone who asks ‘Is cod liver oil good for you’. Available both in liquid and tablet form; Cod liver oil benefits several organ systems in our body as well as beautifying the skin, hair and nails.
What are the benefits of Cod liver oil?
The benefits of taking cod liver oil have been a popular topic of research in the past few years. Folk lore and tradition has always talked about cod liver oil benefits but in recent years the words have been validated by scientific research. Cod liver oil benefits not only the young and elderly who are prone to vitamin deficiencies, but they also have a variety of benefits for adults both male and female. First let’s see what cod liver oil is good for in terms of health.
Cod liver oil health benefits
- Treatment of arthritis – Cod liver oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and its rich Vitamin D content keeps bones in perfect shape. Benefits of cod liver oil also include prevention of rickets, a vitamin D deficiency disease that causes bone malformation.
- Combatting high cholesterol and heart disease – The high concentration of Omega 3 fatty acids in cod liver oil benefits the cardiovascular system by reducing levels of the type of cholesterol that leads to heart problems and increasing levels of the type that is healthy for your body. Research also proves that the omega 3 fatty acids alter the linings of arteries to prevent blockages in arteries and so decreasing the risk of developing heart conditions.
- Remedy for osteoporosis – Among the many benefits of cod liver oil, prevention of osteoporosis is perhaps the most popular one. Postmenopausal women have been using cod liver oil for decades. The Vitamin D in cod liver oil benefits the skeletal system by helping in the absorption of Calcium.
- Remedy for asthma and allergic reactions – The omega 3 fatty acid content in cod liver oil benefits people who suffer from allergic reactions because of its anti-inflammatory property.
- Relieves muscle and joint pain – Cod liver oil not only treats muscular pain but also pain in joints. Research has found people suffering from
Irritable Bowel Syndrome were relieved of their joint ache after use of cod liver oil.
- Keep eyes healthy – Cod liver oil benefits the eyes as it is an important source of Vitamin A and D both of which are essential for maintaining healthy eye sight. Cod liver oil has also been proved to be effective in the treatment of eye conditions such as glaucoma.
- Treatment of mental diseases – The benefits of cod liver oil include the reduction of symptoms in people suffering from mental diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, depression, psychosis, bipolar disorder and even attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder.
- Boosts immune system – If you think the benefits of cod liver oil are limited only to unhealthy people, think again. Cod liver oil boosts immunity and cleanses your body, making you strong and able to fight off all sorts of infections. A research even shows Cod liver oil having anti-cancer properties in the prevention of prostrate cancer.
Other benefits of Cod liver oil consumption:
- In pregnant women – Cod liver oil is prescribed to pregnant women in order to maintain their levels of Vitamin A, E and D.
- In children – The benefits of cod liver oil in children are numerous. Along with the prevention of rickets, cod liver oil also reduces the risk of type 1 diabetes.
- For skin – Cod liver oils benefits include its numerous beautifying effects. It clears the skin of toxins and maintains underlying collagen to give a glowing and radiant complexion. Normal skin conditions like acne, blackheads, whiteheads and pimples are caused due to Vitamin deficiencies which cod liver oil solves. Skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis are also treated by cod liver oil.
- For hair – The benefits of cod liver oil also include the revitalizing effect it has on hair. The omega 3 fatty acids in it provide nourishment to hair follicles and the vitamins keep the scalp healthy leading to hair growth and reduction in hair fall. The result is thick, long and lustrous hair safe from hair fall or dandruff.
- For nails – Cod liver oil benefits people who have brittle nails. Its rich vitamin D content increases Calcium absorption leading to stronger nails that are not prone to cracking.
Even though the list of cod liver oil benefits seems never ending, a lot of care should be taken when consuming cod liver oil. You must never take cod liver oil without consulting your doctor. Vitamins A, D and E are fat soluble vitamins that are not excreted from the body even if they are present in excess. As a result people who already have enough of these vitamins in their diet can actually contract diseases if they take excess vitamins through cod liver oil. People with blood clotting disorders should especially beware and ask a doctor before taking cod liver oil.
Furthermore, Cod liver oil may at times contain impurities like pesticides and mercury. Mercury can cause brain damage in high amounts, and thus it is very important to buy and consume only the more pure form of cod fish oil as impurities make cod liver oil benefits somewhat redundant.
How to select good Cod fish oil
Due to widespread awareness, companies have started fastidiously checking their cod liver oil products for any impurities. Some have even started purifying cod liver oil with molecular distillation. However it is very important for you to know how to select good cod fish oil.
- Always ask for a Certificate of Analysis – Though most of you will not want to go through with the heavy task of doing this, regular users of cod liver oil would be most benefitted from this. All you have to do is call the lot number on the side of the cod liver oil bottle and ask the manufacturer to email you their Certificate of Analysis. If all you are fed is false assurances, abandon the product and continue on.
- Only buy 3rd Party Tested Products – This is the easiest way to go. You can even go to a fish oil standard website that will give u detailed descriptions of every product so you can have all the benefits of cod liver oil safely.
- Fish, oil or tablet? – A commonly asked question to which the simple answer is that as long as what you are eating is known to be pure you can eat any. However, it is better for you to consume the oil instead of the fish as it may contain mercury in other organs. The benefits of cod liver oil capsules are simply that they help avoid the fishy taste that makes most people unable to consume it.