Asian Diet Pyramid
The Healthy Asian Diet Pyramid
The Asian Diet Pyramid represents a healthy diet. People who mainly live on an Asian diet are very healthy and have a low rate of chronic diseases, that are common in Western countries. Plant food constitutes the main body of the Asian Diet Pyramid and rice provides around 25-80% of the calories in the daily diet. The Asian Diet Pyramid has a moderate amount of animal products and a great variety of food, all very healthy.
Oldways Preservation and Exchange Trust are the ones behind the Asian Diet Pyramid see graphical illustration below. Let us just first list some general guidelines of the Asian Food Pyramid.
The Asian Diet Pyramid – General Guidelines
- Daily servings of: Rice, Noodles, Breads, Millet, Corn and other Whole Grains, Vegetables, Fruits, Legumes, Beans, Seeds and Nuts,
- Optional daily servings of: Fish and Shellfish or Dairy
- Weekly servings of: Eggs, Poultry, and Sweets
- Monthly servings of: Pork or Red meat
- Drinks: Drink 6 glasses of water or tea everyday to assure good health. If you’re an adult, it’s OK to drink alcohol (sake, wine or beer), as long as your alcohol intake is moderate and with meals. Consumption should be avoided during pregnancy and whenever you put yourself and others at risk.
- Exercise: Do some form of physical exercise everyday, like Qigong or Tai Chi!
Asian Diet Pyramid
Asian Diet Pyramid – 8 Mini Pyramids
The Asian Diet Pyramid consists of 8 mini-pyramids. You should eat a variety of foods from theses 8 mini-pyramids. Below is an example of foods that you can choose from:
Daily servings from the following mini-pyramids :
- Rice, Noodles, Bread, Millet, Corn and other Whole Grains
- Fruits: Pineapples, Bananas, Mangos, Tangerines, Watermelon, Grapes, Pears
- Legumes, Beans, Seeds and Nuts: Soybeans, Peanuts, Dried Beans, Edamame Beans, Miso, Tofu
- Vegetables: Carrots, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Bok Choy, Cabbage, Bamboo Shoots, Chilies, Bean Sprouts, Scallions, Leafy Greens, Peppers
Optional daily servings from the following mini-pyramid:
5. Fish and Shellfish or Dairy
Weekly servings from the following mini-pyramids:
6. Eggs and Poultry
7. Sweets: Ice Cream, Sorbets
Monthly servings from the following mini-pyramid:
8. Pork or Red Meat
Asian Food Pyramid – Downloads