Finding an eating disorder treatment center can be a difficult task, because there are many options to choose from. This decision may have a big impact in your ability to return to a normal eating pattern, and going to the right eating disorder treatment center could change your life.
What is an Eating Disorder Treatment Center?
An eating disorder treatment center is designed to help a person get past their eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia. The centers are designed to be a safe place that offers the support and medical treatments that are needed to correct eating habits.
The process of recovering from an eating disorder is intense, and many times it requires 24 hours supervision by trained personnel. When a person signs up with an eating disorder treatment center, they often check into the center and stay there until the staff feels that they have made enough progress to transition home.
Finding The Best Eating Disorder Treatment Center
There are a few factors to consider when you are looking for an eating disorder treatment center:
- Environment: Because eating disorder recovery is a difficult process, it is important that you feel comfortable with the environment of the center. You will be spending a lot of time with the staff, and you want to be sure that you are in a safe environment where you will be able to work through your struggles and emotions.
- Treatment Style: There are many different therapy styles that are available, and various eating disorder treatment centers use different types of therapy. Research the types of therapy, and find a center that incorporates the treatments that will be effective for your personality style.
- Food: Eating disorder sufferers have such a strong obsession about food, so it is necessary to consider the type of food that is served at the eating disorder treatment center. For example, if the center is fixing cafeteria type food, you may not want to stay there. There are many locations that offer healthy meal plans, which is the best option during recovery time.
- Location: Sometimes a family program is incorporated at the eating disorder treatment center, and if you want your family involved it is necessary to stay close to home so that they can come to visit on a regular basis. On the other hand, some people prefer to go far away from their hometown in order to have a fresh start.
- Transition: The treatment in the eating disorder treatment center is important, but it is also necessary to consider the transition plan that they offer. Many people need a supportive transition program to ensure that they don’t fall back into their bad habits after the treatment is done.
If you are suffering from an eating disorder, an eating disorder treatment center is one of the most effective ways to help you create healthier lifestyle habits.