Many of us are left scratching our heads in utter disappointment pondering over the question as to how to get rid of dandruff? Dandruff is a chronic scalp disorder that results in the occurrence of dry or oily flaky scalp usually characterized by redness and an itchy sensation. The scalp disorder is prevalent in up to 50% of the human population, making it a nightmare for individuals of any age group, ethnic background and gender.
People often question dermatologists on how to get rid of dandruff in an effective manner. Before moving ahead to finding home remedies for dandruff you need to understand what causes this scalp disorder.
Skin regeneration is a natural process that sheds off old cells and replaces them with new ones. The problem occurs when skin cells shed off at a faster rate than normal and this causes the dead cells to fall out as white flakes. The scalp oil causes these dead cells to clump together and build up as greasy or dry flakes on the scalp.
Seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema and overgrowth of the yeast (malassezia) are some of the major causes of dandruff.
In an era of scientific advancements, researchers are making novel discoveries every day. Despite all the researches and studies, doctors and scientists are still unsure about how to treat bad dandruff effectively. The mystery question, “How to get rid of dandruff?” is exploited by various health-care companies that claim to have found the ultimate remedy for dandruff. The confusion of how to get rid of dandruff can be eliminated if you follow certain hygiene rules in your daily routine.
General rules to keep dandruff away
If you are wondering how to get rid of dandruff completely, you should always take general measures in your daily routine which would help you in getting rid of dandruff:
Our forefathers have been using dandruff home remedies since centuries. Most of the home remedies for dandruff can be prepared by utilizing everyday ingredients present at home.
Studies prove that usage of natural ingredients not only serve as an effective home remedy for dandruff but also have a positive impact on the health of your hair. Anti-dandruff shampoo and medicated shampoos for scalp infections contain the constituents of these natural ingredients only.
Listed below are some of the natural ways to get rid of dandruff:
1. Egg white - Among all the home remedies for dandruff, it has been found that applying egg white once a week is the most effective one. It is really helpful for eradicating dandruff and providing protein nourishment to your hair. If you are wondering how to get rid of dandruff fast, then go to your refrigerator and start this treatment right away. It should be noted that this treatment should not be done more than once or twice a week.
2. Radish juice – Applying radish juice over the scalp and leaving it there for some time is the best way to get rid of dandruff. It will also moisturize your hair follicles making it one of the vital home remedies for dandruff.
3. Yogurt – Yogurt is known for its cooling properties and thus serves as a an effective remedy for combating the dandruff itchiness. Take a bowl of yogurt and mix 2 tablespoons of black pepper powder. Apply this mixture to your scalp and leave it for an hour. Yogurt is the chief ingredient in various home remedies for dandruff.
4. Massage oils – If you are looking for severe dandruff treatments than oiling your hair regularly with warm coconut, almond or olive oil before going to bed every night will keep your scalp moist and nourished. These natural moisturizers prevents the premature shedding of the scalp thus eliminating dandruff.
5. Ginger – Ginger is also among the essential home remedies for dandruff. Take the juice of this herb and add sesame oil and lemon juice in equal proportions. Leave this concoction on your scalp for at least 30 minutes and rinse with a mild shampoo. This is among the most effective remedies answering the question as to how to get rid of dandruff.
6. Baking Soda – Applying a mixture of baking soda and water on wet scalp is an effective dandruff remedy. By substituting the use of shampoo with baking soda for a few weeks your scalp will be stimulated to produce natural oils that will eradicate the dry white flakes. Please make sure that you do not use shampoo after this treatment for it will cause your scalp to dry out severely.
7. Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil known for its anti-fungal and antibiotic properties has proven to be an effective cure for dandruff. To follow this treatment religiously, mix drops of tea tree oil in an organic sulfate-free shampoo.
8. Organic honey – Just like tea tree oil, honey also has anti-fungal properties which makes it an ideal companion in your pursuit of finding the answer to the question, how to get rid of dandruff? Make sure that you apply organic honey, to avoid any allergic reactions, on your scalp and rinse it with warm water after 30 minutes.
9. Apple – Mix two tablespoons of apple juice with two tablespoons of water and massage the mixture evenly on your scalp. The enzymes present in apple help to eradicate dead cells on your scalp leaving it moisturized and healthy. Even the use of apple cider vinegar for dandruff can help.
10. Salt – If you are among the masses that need a natural solution to the menace of dandruff then salt is the perfect scrub to get rid of dead cells. Sprinkle salt over your dry scalp and massage for a few minutes. This will help you to get rid of the itchy scalp and enhance the blood circulation to the hair follicles.
It should be thoroughly noted that out of all the home remedies for dandruff listed above, only one treatment should be followed at a given time for effective results.
Researchers have shed light on various food deficiencies that can trigger the dandruff formation process. A balanced diet rich with essential nutrients and minerals is at the top of the list of natural remedies for dandruff. Make sure your daily diet consists of the following vitamins and nutrients:
1. Omega-3 – This helps to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized thus eliminating the dryness on your scalp. Foods rich with Omega-3 are soybeans, walnuts, tuna and salmon. You can also take Omega-3 supplements that are easily available at any drugstore.
2. Vitamin B6 – Our scalp consists of sebaceous glands that produce skin oil to keep it moisturized. The overproduction of skin oil results triggers the process of flake formation which can easily be inhibited by Zinc. It is essential to keep your diet rich in vitamin B6 to enhance the consumption of Zinc in the intestine. Vitamin B6 is found in a variety of foods with the best sources being poultry and red meat.
3. Lean Proteins – Our skin and hair are made up of protein, making it an essential part of our balanced diet. Foods rich in leaner protein consist of fish and non-meat protein like nuts, eggs and beans.
In severe cases, natural dandruff remedies are not enough to alleviate your scalp from the discomfort. You will need to use one of the following shampoos:
1. Zinc pyrithione shampoos – Zinc pyrithione is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent which stops the fungus production that is causing dandruff.
2. Salicylic acid containing shampoos – These shampoos are more commonly known as ‘scalp scrubs’ which eradicates the white flakes but it advisable to condition your hair after its application to avoid reoccurrence of the flakes.
3. Selenium sulfide shampoos – These shampoos slow down the process of cell regeneration on scalp which in turn stops the overgrowth of the yeast, malassezia. This shampoo has harsh chemicals which causes a bleaching effect on hair.
4. Tar containing shampoos – Tar is a by-product of the coal manufacturing process, which is known to combat dandruff by slowing down the cell replacement process on your scalp.
Dandruff is a mild scalp disorder which is usually treatable from medicated shampoos and home remedies for dandruff. However, even after the faithful application of medicated shampoos you are still left wondering as to how do you get rid of dandruff then it is advisable to go consult a doctor or dermatologist immediately. The following cases call for immediate doctor visit: